And the Oscar Goes to…
Sunday is the big day! Are you ready? Did you see any of the movies? Did you cast your votes?
Every year, a good friend and I get together to watch the Oscars. Since we cast our ballots as though we are part of the Academy of Motion Arts & Sciences, we had to have our own award. We are still campaigning for the Academy to give us a real Oscar, but in the meantime we have a trophy for one of us to take home for selecting the most winners correctly.
To prepare for the Oscars, we do our homework. We always see all of the Best Picture nominees, and then we try to see a few others that have been nominated for some of the other big awards. Having kids means I always see the animated films, which allows me to knock out another category.
This year’s Best Picture nominees are all phenomenal. If you are looking for a great film, definitely pick from this list! The Best Picture Nominees are Arrival, Fences, Hacksaw Ridge, Hell or High Water, Hidden Figures, La La Land, Lion, Manchester by the Sea, and Moonlight. For a full description of these movies, click here for my previous post. Most of these movies are now available to rent. If you are able to have an Oscar marathon this weekend, you could be caught up before the big event on Sunday evening.
And the Oscar Goes to…
My predictions are based on watching some of the other award shows and a little bias after seeing the films. Here are a few of my predictions.
- Best Picture – La La Land – With 14 nominations, most likely the Academy is going to lean toward giving this unique film the nod.
- Best Director – Damien Chazelle – It would be shocking if he didn’t win since he directed La La Land.
- Best Actor – Casey Affleck (Manchester by the Sea) – I wrestled between Casey Affleck and Denzel Washington (Fences) and will be fine losing this category if Denzel gets the win. Both of these actors were fantastic! Maybe a tie this year?
- Best Actress – Emma Stone – I believe Emma is going to beat the others with her performance in La La Land. However, Natalie Portman does a great job in Jackie, and it is definitely worth checking out as well! On a side note, I think Jackie will win for Best Costume Design.
- Best Supporting Actor – Mahershala Ali – I believe Mahershala will win. He has won in the other award shows and has been on the talk show circuit. He is nominated for his role in Moonlight, but he is also in Hidden Figures.
- Best Supporting Actress – Viola Davis – She is definitely going to win for her role in Fences, and she deserves it. I am not sure why anyone else is nominated.
- Best Original Song – “City of Stars” from La La Land – This category was the toughest for me to choose. Justin Timberlake’s song “Can’t Stop This Feeling” is nominated, and that by far is my favorite song, which I can’t get stop playing. However, I have to go with my gut feeling, and I am going with a song from La La Land.
With 24 Oscars given out that night, I am only listing the “top” awards here. However, you can check out my complete ballot at the end of this post. No peeking until you fill out your ballot (instructions below)!
Would you like to vote?
If you go to challenge.oscar.com/ballot, you can fill out an online ballot and compete against friends. I am in the challenge so feel free to join. May the best man or woman win! For this challenge, you do have to login with a Facebook account. If you don’t want to login with a Facebook account, you can click here for a printable ballot. Whichever ballot you choose, I would love to hear how you did!
Leave your comment with who you are hoping will win, and on Tuesday, check out my final post in this Oscar series to see how I faired with my choices.
Enjoy the glam and glitz on Sunday, and I will see you at the movies!